CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

03 March 2011

Ni Hao from Beijing!

Good Morning!  It's our first morning in Beijing and it's going to be a beautiful day.  Of course, anything is better than being trapped in a plane or wandering the airport for 30 hours!  We were the last ones off the  plane and the last ones through customs.  Being a group of 5, including 2 kids makes for a very inefficient travel experience!!

The flights were smooth and all on time!  The kids were amazingly good on all the flights -- but the moment we got to the hotel in Beijing, the wheels came off the bus and they both melted down in a wonderful spectacle of poking, teasing and tears that I have never seen!  Kenna fell asleep almost immediatley after check-in (about 3pm) and just woke up a few minutes ago, happy and wanting chicken nuggets and fruit snacks for breakfast! 

Connor and Nana are still sleeping for now.  Brian is fighting a cold and after all those hours in the plane, he wanted nothing more than to crash and relax. We'd been told the beds are rock hard in China, but I cannot believe that is not an exaggeration!  I really feel like I just spend the night on a slab of granite!  But somehow, I feel pretty well-rested!

We met a couple on the shuttle to the hotel yesterday who was leaving today for home with their new daugther, Charlotte.  They were so helpful and sweet, giving us all kinds of tips and advice about the trip, from money exchaging to restaurants to shopping tips.  I'm so glad we ran into them, and I hope they have a safe trip home today.  Charlotte was just perfectly beautiful, that I couldn't stop looking at her.  I wish I could say I remembered anything they said -- i'm sure I totally had that deer-in-headlights look and after 30 hours of travel, was not at my most attractive or friendly, I'm sure! 

Today is a free day for us so we are left to our own devices exploring and wandering the city...tomorrow, the Great Wall, Forbidden City...I still can't believe we're here!

Three days 'til we meet Keira!  I almost wish we would have skipped Beijing and gone straight to her.  I feel like since I'm here in China, I should be with her now!! 

More later - off to try the breakfast buffet!!

4 comments:

malinda said...

Yippee! Glad to hear the trip went smoothly. I remember well that feeling that I just wanted to get to my daughter -- why all this touristy stuff?! Hong Kong was completely wasted on me! Just keep in mind that you'll be better off with this time to recover from jet lag before you meet your girl. And think of the stories about Beijing and the Great Wall and the Forbidden City you'll be able to share with her later!

Dawn said...

So happy to hear that you arrived safely! Enjoy your time to adjust to the country. Your day will be here before you know it!!

Karey said...

Glad you made it safely. Have been thinking of you guys and the girls keep asking :). Go Simpson family!!! Lol.

susan said...

so excited for you and your family! God Bless!!

Pictures! August 20

Pictures! Aug 18-19